- This event has passed.
ENDVR Sustainable Transportation Scavenger Hunt
September 7, 2016 @ 11:00 am - 7:00 pmFree
This is our 2nd annual scavenger hunt. Last year, our teens had so much fun, we decided to do it again and open it up to all Missoula homeschoolers!
How does it work?
1. Gather a team. Your team can be made up of as many parents and students as you wish, but the team needs to travel together at all times. You can register as a FREE AGENT prior to September 1st and we will put you on a team with 3-4 other free agents. This is a great way to meet other local homeschool families! Give your team a name, pick out some costumes, go crazy.
2. Assign one person as the “official team recorder”. This person must have a smartphone with a camera and a facebook account. Prior to the event, the team recorder should request to join our scavenger hunt facebook group (we will send a link when we confirm your registration). WE SUGGEST AN EXTRA BATTERY or a back up device!
3. On September 1st, we will release the official list of scavenger hunt items.
4. On September 7th at 11am, you may begin anywhere in Missoula. Pictures posted before 11am will not be accepted. You can only use sustainable transportation to move to different locations: BIKE, WALK or BUS.
5. As you find scavenger hunt items, take a picture and post it on the facebook group. If your team is the first, second, or third team to post a picture, you will get points!
6. At 3pm, we will wrap up the hunt.
7. At 5pm, we will all meet back up at eNDVR for a pot luck and celebration. We will announce the first, second and third place teams. We will also look at a slide show of the best pictures from throughout the day!
Why are we doing this?
Last year, this scavenger hunt was part of our “survive” session for eNDVR teenagers. Many of our students had never been on the bus before and were very used to parents driving them to activities. They did not understand how to get around Missoula, how to read a bus map or how to schedule their travel time. We added this hunt as a fun way to introduce these students to alternative transportation and to get them to be more independent.
What can your homeschooler get from this experience?
A fun day with a large group of homeschoolers. It may be a tough first week, as many traditionally educated friends go back to school. This is a great way to remind your child that they have many friends in the homeschool community.
A lesson in reading maps and planning routes. We will issue the official list of items one week in advance of the hunt. This gives teams a week to get out the map, plan a route, and look at their options for getting the most points possible. Parents can easily integrate math, history and language arts lessons with this work.
An understanding that there are more options for getting around town than just being driven by an adult. This is especially important for busy teens, who may be able to bike or take the bus to activities. Many of us don’t take the bus with our kids, but this is an awesome FREE resource that is very kid friendly.
What does this cost?
We are requesting a donation of $30 per team or $10 per free agent. Your donations will be used to stock the eNDVR makerspace with supplies and materials for the coming year. Our makerspace is a place where all homeschool students can come to make anything: paper swords, lego robots, 3d printed prototypes, fairy houses, anything a student can dream up.
If you are unable to make this donation, consider helping us in one or more of the following ways:
-Donate your time and help us set up/clean up the potluck (between 3pm-8pm on that day)
-Donate supplies to the eNDVR makerspace. A wish list will be available on the eNDVR website prior to the start of the event.
-Donate books to eNDVR’s homeschool library. This library is open to the public during our regular business hours.